Wednesday, March 30, 2016

I Became a Criminal (1947)


IMDb plot summary: In this gritty film noir, cynical ex-RAF flyer Morgan joins a break-in gang. On his first job, he is framed as the driver and sent to jail. Seeking revenge, he escapes and heads for London.
Directed by Alberto Cavalcanti. Starring Trevor Howard, Sally Gray, Griffith Jones, and Rene Ray.

(Mild spoilers.)

I've never been much for noir, and the noir styling in this is very, very strong, but the script is interesting and clever, which goes a long way toward keeping my interest. I also really enjoyed the way it ended -- of course, like all noir, it has to end poorly, but it did so in a way I didn't see coming. There's not a lot of depth of character in this story, it's mostly about sharp one-liners darting back and forth, but it kept me interested, which was a pleasant surprise.

2.5 stars.

How it entered my Flickchart:
They Made Me a Fugitive > Dreamgirls
They Made Me a Fugitive < Eat Pray Love
They Made Me a Fugitive < Children of Paradise
They Made Me a Fugitive < Chaos Theory
They Made Me a Fugitive > Mrs. Doubtfire
They Made Me a Fugitive < Serendipity
They Made Me a Fugitive > Anonymous
They Made Me a Fugitive < Moneyball
They Made Me a Fugitive < Is It College Yet?
They Made Me a Fugitive > Bonnie and Clyde
They Made Me a Fugitive > Wonder Boys
Final spot: #1121 out of 2442.

No comments: